Thursday, March 7, 2013

DIY Wall Hanging

 
I am always looking for new thrifty ways to decorate my home. I have a ton of scrap booking stuff and thought there has got to be more to do with it than just "scrap booking"'
I am not sure where I got the idea from in the beginning but I have changed it and adapted to fit my needs.
 
 
 
I used cardboard boxes, spray adhesive glue (maybe some craft glue as well), some scrap booking stickers and papers, an exacto knife, a ruler and something to hang it from the wall (I used tape).
I chose papers that were cute and girly because I will be putting this in Julie and Kt's room.
 

 
I have a bunch of boxes laying around so that is what I used for this part. You could also use foam board you can get for as cheap as $1 a piece at a Dollar Tree if you have one near you. Otherwise any other department store or craft store will probably carry it.
 

 
I had a hard time deciding what shape and papers I wanted to use but for this being my first time I just went with basic squares. I cut out different size squares from the cardboard and matching size papers to go on top of them. Then, taking the spray adhesive,  I sprayed one side of the cardboard and placed the papers right on top.
 
Note: The spray glue is repositionable until it sets good so you have a little time to move it around but, be careful and work quickly.
 
Next, I had to decide the design I wanted. This was the hardest part for me. I tried several different positions by laying the "pictures" out and seeing how I liked them. You would do well to have an idea of where you are going to hang this while trying to shape the design.
Once I had the design laid out I tried to use the spray glue to piece the shapes together but it didn't seem to hold very well on all of the pieces, so I used my craft glue (E6000) instead and this worked great!
I let it sit for a couple hours just to be sure the glue dried.
 

 
This is what I ended up with.
 
I think it turned out pretty well and I just used some tape stuck to the back to adhere it to the wall. However, I would not recommend this on just any wall. Use something safe for the texture of your walls.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment